The 2020 general election has been characterized with some jaw-dropping defeat from from sitting Members of Parliament in their bid to retain seats in their bid to retain their seats in the parliamentary elections.
Here are a list of MPs who have fallen through the cracks in the polls;
- The Tourism, Art and Culture Minister, Barbara Oteng Gyasi lost the Prestea Huni-Valley seat after just one-term to the National Democratic Congress’ Robert Wisdom Cudjoe. Her opponent, won the seat for the NDC with 56,464 votes while the Tourism Minister polled 34,067 votes. The MP-elect was the DCE for Prestea-Huni-Valley under Mills and Mahama governments.
- The Member of Parliament for Adentan Constituency, on the ticket of the NPP, Yaw Buaben Asamoa also failed to retain his seat. He lost to the NDC’s Adamu Ramadan.
- Francis Xavier Sosu Madina equally won for the NDC by defeating the incumbent MP for the area, Abubakar Saddique Boniface. While Mr. Sosu polled 61, 274, the Minister of State at the Office of the Vice President, Mr. Boniface had 46, 525.
- George Andah’s plea to be retained as the MP for the Awutu Senya West Parliamentary seat fell through the cracks as the sister of Hannah Tetteh, Gizella Tetteh-Agbotui of the National Democratic Congress snatched the seat from him. After having served only a term, provisional results, revealed that, Gizella Tetteh polled 32,708 while George Andah polled 29,832.
- Minister of Energy, Peter Amewu’s third attempt at becoming the parliamentary representative for Hohoe has finally proven successful and it’s nothing short of a miracle. He managed to garner a staggering 26,952 votes in an NDC stronghold while his National Democratic Congress (NDC) opponent, Margaret Kweku, polled 21,821 votes.
- The Parliamentary Candidate for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) for the Kumbungu Constituency in the Northern Region, Dr. Hamza Adam has won the 2020 parliamentary contest in the constituency. He polled 24, 278 to beat MCE for the area, Abdul Salam Hamza Fatawu and three others.
The Deputy Health Minister and the Member of Parliament for Ledzokuku Constituency, Dr. Bernard Oko Boye, has lost his seat. Dr. Bernard Oko Boye who was seeking to maintain the seat for the second time lost to the NDC’s Benjamin Ayiku Narh.
The Parliamentary Candidate of the National Democratic Congress(NDC) for the Tano South Constituency, Dr. Hannah Bissiw who polled 17,215 votes representing 44.7% whilst the incumbent Benjamin Sekyere garnered 21,018 votes representing 54.6% to emerge victorious, has refused to sign the certified results.
Elizabeth Afoley Quaye, the Minister for Fisheries and Aquaculture, lost to the National Democratic Congress’ Agnes Naa Momo in the Krowor Constituency parliamentary race. Mrs. Quaye lost by over 5,000 votes in a rematch of the 2016 election. She polled 32,602 as against Mrs. Lartey’s 41,851.
Incumbent Member of Parliament for Tema East, Titus Glover, lost to former Metropolitan Chief Executive (MCE) of Tema, Isaac Ashai Odamtten who is contesting the seat for the first time.
Deputy Attorney General, Joseph Dindiok Kpemka has lost the Tempane parliamentary seat to his NDC opponent Lydia Akanvariba Lamisi.
More updates on defeated MPs to follow…