• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Africa

Uganda bans social media ahead of presidential election

thevaultzby thevaultz
January 12, 2021
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
Uganda denies US accreditation needed to observe Presidential elections

President Yoweri Museveni (L) squares of with Bobi Wine

Uganda’s communications regulator has ordered internet service providers to shut down social media and messaging services, just two days before a tense presidential election pitting President Yoweri Museveni against opposition frontrunner Bobi Wine, a popular singer.

In a letter, Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) Executive Director, Irene Sewankambo ordered telecommunications companies to “immediately suspend any access and use” of social media and online messaging platforms.

The list of banned social media sites include Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Signal and Viber. Before the letter was issued, users were already complaining that they are unable to access Facebook and WhatsApp, social media platforms being widely used for campaigning by all sides ahead of the January 14 election in the East African country.

It is widely assumed the order is retaliation for Facebook’s removal of pro-government accounts seeking to manipulate public debate before Thursday’s polls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Campaigning ahead of the election has been marred by brutal crackdowns on opposition rallies, which the authorities say break COVID-19 restrictions on large gatherings. Rights groups however claim the restrictions are a pretext for supressing the opposition.

Bobi Wine, the main challenger of longtime President Yoweri Museveni, had earlier reported that the security personnel raided his home and beat two security guards.

The popular singer turned politician whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, said the raid of his compound in Kampala and the arrest of his guards happened while he was doing an interview with Kenya’s Hot 96 FM radio station.

“I have to end the interview because I can see soldiers beating my security guards,” he said.

Patrick Onyango, police spokesman for the capital Kampala, denied Bobi Wine’s home had been raided or that anyone was arrested, saying, “We were just rearranging our security posture in the area near his home, specifically removing some checkpoints.”

bobi 1
Bobi Wine was arrested charges of unlawful assembly. Image:AFP

At 38, Wine is half the age of President Yoweri Museveni and has attracted a large following among young people in a nation where 80% of the population are under 30.

ADVERTISEMENT

He is considered the frontrunner among 10 candidates challenging the incumbent, the former guerrilla leader who seized power in 1986 and brought stability to the country after the murderous reigns of dictators, Milton Obote and Idi Amin.

While security forces have cracked down on the opposition during previous elections, the run-up to this year’s vote has been especially violent. In November, 54 people were killed as soldiers and police quelled protests after Bobi Wine was imprisoned.

“The terror, frankly, is unprecedented,” said Kizza Besigye, a veteran opposition leader who challenged President Yoweri Museveni in four elections.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Violence, terror seem to be scaled up with every coming election. This election has witnessed untold violence. It gets worse and worse by the day.”

Bobi Wine and other leading opposition candidates said they had launched a concerted effort to protect against vote rigging at polling stations.

They are urging their supporters to stay within 100 metres of polling stations rather than return home as the electoral commission is demanding. Experts believe this could incur potential confrontations with security forces.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

AfCFTA is very good for us, only that we are not ready- GUTA

Next Post

YAW BERK APOLOGISES TO KAYWA

Related Posts

Bundibugyo Ebola Virus
Africa

DR Congo’s Ebola Outbreak Growing Exponentially – UN Ebola Coordinator

August 21, 2026
Zambian Opposition Leader Brian Mundubile
Africa

Opposition Leader Brian Mundubile Summoned by Zambian Police

August 21, 2026
A guard of South Sudan People's Defence Forces
Africa

South Sudan Faces Renewed Atrocities Risk Ahead of Elections

August 20, 2026
Bundibugyo Ebola Virus
Africa

DR Congo Secures 70,000 Ebola Vaccine Doses as Outbreak Escalates

August 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

Honourable Kojo Oppong   Nkrumah, Chairman Of the Policy Committee for NPP And MP for Ofoase-Ayirebi constituency.

We’ll Consider Review After Reading The Full Ruling— Ofoase Ayirebi MP

August 21, 2026
IMG 6928

King Promise To Perform At Medeama CAF Champions League Match

August 21, 2026
5767329b a154 4bbe b2bc 9e725109a313

Importers and Exporters Association Calls on Government to Simplify Export Procedures  

August 21, 2026
Bundibugyo Ebola Virus

DR Congo’s Ebola Outbreak Growing Exponentially – UN Ebola Coordinator

August 21, 2026
Chief Executive Officer of Mercy Ships, Dr. Michelle White

 Mercy Ships CEO Hails Return to Ghana at Tema Port

August 21, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
Yaw Berk has remorsefully apologized to his former boss David Kojo Kyei, better known as Kaywa

YAW BERK APOLOGISES TO KAYWA

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.