• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Africa

Guinea-Bissau Plunges Into Uncertainty As Officers Announce Takeover

Comfort Ampomaaby Comfort Ampomaa
November 26, 2025
Reading Time: 4 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
3500

A group of military officers in Guinea-Bissau have claimed “total control” of the country.

Dubbing themselves the “High Military Command for the Restoration of Order,” the officers read out a statement on television today, Wednesday, November 26, 2025, declaring that they had ordered the immediate suspension of the electoral process “until further notice.”

They also ordered the closure of all land, air and sea borders, and an overnight curfew.

AFP 20251126 869J79U v2 HighRes TopshotGbissauPoliticsElectionUnrest 1764173840
Brigadier General Denis N’Canha, head of the military office of the Guinea-Bissau presidency, announces the takeover during a news conference on November 26, 2025.

The move came shortly after sustained gunfire was heard near the election commission headquarters, the presidential palace and the interior ministry in the capital, Bissau.

ADVERTISEMENT

The announced takeover came a day after the top candidates in a tightly contested presidential election both declared victory.

The results of Sunday’s presidential vote were expected to be announced on Thursday in the West African nation. The vote had pit incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embalo against his primary challenger Fernando Dias.

Both Embalo and Dias had already declared victory with little proof to support their claims. “There won’t be a second round,” Embalo’s campaign spokesperson Oscar Barbosa told a news agency yesterday, adding that the President “will have a second mandate.”

Dias also declared victory, saying in a video posted to social media, “This election has been won, it has been won in the first round.”

Guinea-Bissau’s last presidential vote in 2019 was marked by a four-month post-election crisis as both main candidates claimed victory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Guinea-Bissau has experienced several coups and attempted coups since it gained independence from Portugal in 1974.

There have been at least nine coups in Guinea-Bissau between independence and Embaló taking office in 2020, according to Reuters. Embaló claimed to have survived three coup attempts during his first term in office, the most recent in October.

However, critics claimed Embaló had fabricated the putsch attempts, using them as an excuse to repress opposition. In December 2023, gunfire was heard for hours in Bissau, which Embaló said was an attempted coup. He dissolved parliament and Guinea-Bissau hasn’t had a properly functioning legislature since.

ADVERTISEMENT

Concerns Expressed Over Military Takeover In Guinea-Bissau

Meanwhile, West Africa’s ECOWAS and African Union observers expressed concern over the military takeover in Guinea-Bissau, according to a joint statement issued by the organisations.

The observers said that it’s regrettable that the coup announcement came at a time when the missions had just concluded meeting with the two leading presidential candidates, “who assured us of their willingness to accept the will of the people.”

The observer missions that included Mozambique’s former President Filipe Jacinto Nyusi and Nigeria’s former President Goodluck Jonathan, called on the regional bodies to take the necessary steps to restore constitutional order.

The statement from the Economic Community of West African States and African Union observers said, “We urge the armed forces to immediately release the detained officials to allow the country’s electoral process to proceed to its conclusion.”

Also, Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said during a news conference in New York that UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres has been following the situation in Guinea-Bissau “with deep concern.”

He stated that the UN Chief appealed to all national stakeholders in Guinea Bissau to exercise restraint and exercise and respect the rule of law. “The secretary-general will continue to closely follow the situation in the country as it unfolds,” he added.

Additionally, the Portuguese government also called for all parties to refrain from “any act of institutional or civic violence.” In a statement, it said that Guinea-Bissau’s state institutions must be allowed to function in order to finalise the electoral process.

READ ALSO: Bank of Ghana Slashes Policy Rate by 350 Basis Points to 18%, Signaling Major Economic Boost

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

Security Analyst Questions IGP’s Extension, Urges Clarity on Government’s Policy

Next Post

Ghana Unveils Oversight Committee to Lead 2026 World Cup Campaign

Related Posts

Displaced Sudanese
Africa

Sudan Crisis Worsens as 200,000 More Face Displacement

August 19, 2026
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Africa

Tinubu Faces Tough Test as Nigerians Assess APC’s 12-Year Rule

August 19, 2026
Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema
Africa

Hichilema Wins Second Term as Zambia’s President

August 18, 2026
An election official holds a ballot at a polling station during Zambia's general elections
Africa

Zambia’s Top Opposition Figures Arrested After Presidential Poll

August 17, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

Hon. Haruna Iddrisu, Minister of Education

Minister of Education Calls for Greater Focus on Foundational Learning

August 19, 2026
IMG 4719

GFZA Hosts 26- Member Delegation from the CCPIT for a Pre-Summit Event

August 19, 2026
Mr Kwesi Pratt Jnr

Press Freedom Must Serve Truth And Democracy, Insight Managing Editor Warns

August 19, 2026
Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board (Goldbod), Sammy Gyamfi

Sammy Gyamfi: Auditor-General Made No Adverse Finding Against GoldBod

August 19, 2026
Akuapem South

Akuapem South Tightens Building Rules To Protect Green Zones

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
Ghana's 2026 Ministerial Oversight Team

Ghana Unveils Oversight Committee to Lead 2026 World Cup Campaign

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.