The winner of the 2026-27 Ghana Premier League will receive a record GHS 3 million prize money, Ghana Football Association (GFA) President Kurt Edwin Simeon-Okraku has announced.
Simeon-Okraku made the revelation at the GFA’s 32nd Ordinary Congress in Prampram, where he outlined the association’s commitment to improving the financial strength of clubs and rewarding success in Ghana’s top-flight competition.
“The winner of the GPL will take home three million Ghana cedis this year,” the GFA President announced, confirming a significant increase from the GHS 2 million received by defending champions Medeama SC after winning the 2025-26 league title.
The runners-up of the 2026-27 season will also receive GHS 1 million, while the third and fourth-placed teams will take home GHS 800,000 and GHS 750,000 respectively, as the GFA continues to increase the financial incentives attached to the competition.
For the 2025-26 season, Medeama became the first club to benefit from the new prize structure after lifting the Ghana Premier League trophy and receiving GHS 2 million for their success.

Simeon-Okraku said the improved rewards form part of efforts to create a more competitive league and provide clubs with greater motivation to compete for honours.
“Our commitment to rewarding excellence has been equally historic. In fulfilment of our pledge, the champions of the 2025-2026 Ghana Premier League received a record two million Ghana cedis in prize money.”
Ghana Football Association (GFA) President Kurt Edwin Simeon-Okraku
GFA To Provide Additional Funds To Each GPL Club
Beyond the increased prize money, the GFA President also confirmed that every Premier League club will receive GHS 1 million before the start of the 2026-27 season, which begins on September 4.
The financial support follows a similar initiative introduced before the 2025-26 campaign, when all 18 Premier League clubs received GHS 1 million each.

“Each of the 18 Premier League clubs received a million Ghana cedis before the start of the 2025-2026 football season. This was a bold statement of intent to empower our clubs, improve their financial stability, and create the conditions for necessary growth and competitiveness.”
Ghana Football Association (GFA) President Kurt Edwin Simeon-Okraku
The additional funding is expected to ease some of the financial challenges facing clubs, including player welfare, administrative costs, and preparation for the new campaign.
However, effective management of the funds will be crucial if clubs are to convert the support into long-term growth.
Financial Investment Aims To Transform Ghana Football
The GFA’s financial commitments represent a broader attempt to improve the commercial appeal and competitiveness of the Ghana Premier League.

Simeon-Okraku revealed that a total of GHS 9.5 million will be paid as prize money for the 2025-26 league season, highlighting the growing investment into domestic football. “GHS 9.5 million will be paid,” he stated before reiterating that “a million Ghana cedis each to the 18 clubs.”
The GFA President also credited the partnership with Adesa Productions for improving the quality and visibility of Ghanaian football through better broadcasting. “Our partnership with Adesa Limited has ushered in a new era for football broadcasting in Ghana, enhancing the production quality, reach, and visibility of our competitions,” he said.
Although he acknowledged that there is still room for further improvement, Simeon-Okraku believes the progress achieved provides a strong foundation for the future. “Although there remains scope for further innovation and improvement, the progress achieved so far has been remarkable and provides a solid foundation for the continued growth of our football,” he added.
The record GHS 3 million reward gives clubs an even greater incentive to compete for the Premier League title.
But beyond the financial figures, the bigger test will be whether teams can use these resources to improve their structures, develop players, and build a league capable of attracting more fans, sponsors, and investors as earlier called by Minister of Sports and Recreation Hon. Kofi Iddie Adams.
READ ALSO: John Boadu Leads NPP Chairmanship Race as 47% Remain Undecided










