• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Uncategorized

Kenya court finds two guilty in deadly Westgate mall attack

thevaultzby thevaultz
October 7, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
Image: Getty Images

Image: Getty Images

A Kenyan court has found two men, Mohamed Ahmed Abdi and Hussein Hassan Mustafah, guilty of helping Somalia-based armed group al-Shabab fighters launch a 2013 assault on a Nairobi shopping mall where gunmen massacred at least 67 people.

A third man, Liban Abdullah Omar, who also faced charges under the country’s terrorism-prevention act, was acquitted on all charges in the judgment.

The ruling comes more than seven years after gunmen from the al-Qaeda-linked group, al-Shabab carried out the attack.

“The prosecution has proved its case against the accused on charges of conspiracy of committing a terrorism act and supporting a terrorist group,” Chief Magistrate, Francis Andayi said as he read out the verdict.

ADVERTISEMENT
defendants
Hussein Hassan Mustafa (left) and Mohammed Ahmed Abdi (right) were charged while Liban Abdullahi (centre) was found not guilty. Image: Getty Images

The case’s prosecutor is reportedly pushing for the maximum sentence.

On a Saturday afternoon in September 2013, gunmen entered the Westgate mall and opened fire on shoppers, leading to a four-day siege.

The militants fired indiscriminately at the crowds inside and detonated grenades, sending terrified people fleeing through the exits. The mall’s shiny floors were soiled with blood and scattered with lifeless bodies. Witnesses later said that the assailants had picked out non-Muslims for killing.

During the four-day siege to clear out the militants, the Kenyan authorities were criticized for an inefficient and disorganised response, with the police and military forces deployed in the mall even firing at each other. Soldiers were caught on camera stealing goods from shops in the ruined mall. Security officers also fired a rocket, leading to the collapse of entire floors in the five-story building, including the rooftop parking lot.

Kenyan and Western officials have said that four gunmen from Somalia were involved in the attack, and that all were killed during the siege.

ADVERTISEMENT
shelter
Image: Getty Images

The trial is the only prosecution Kenya has mounted so far over the attack carried out by al-Shabab fighters. The two convicted were found by the court to have provided support to the gunmen who carried out the attack by communicating with the assailants, knowingly supporting the commission of a terrorist act and possessing materials connected to a terrorism offense. 

Kenyan advocates have said that the trial provided little comfort for the loved ones of victims because it shed little light on what happened during the attack itself.

The three men put on trial “are not in any way the masterminds, not even the attackers”, Otsieno Namwaya, senior Africa researcher at Human Rights Watch, said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s believed that the attackers escaped, and masterminds are still unknown. These three must have been fringe players, if at all.”

Since 2011, al-Shabab has vowed retribution on Kenya for sending troops to Somalia.

In 2015, the group killed 148 people, a majority of them students, at a university in northeastern Kenya. That was the country’s deadliest terror attack since Qaeda-linked militants bombed the United States Embassy in Nairobi in 1998, killing more than 200 people.

In 2019, 21 people were killed after the Shabab targeted a luxury hotel and office complex in Nairobi. In January 2020, Shabab fighters killed three Americans and destroyed a surveillance plane when they stormed a Kenyan military post where U.S. troops were based.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

NPP government has managed only an addition of $4 billion of GDP in four years- Mahama

Next Post

Make Ghana Work Again – John Mahama

Related Posts

Karela_United_FC_logo
Sports

FIFA Hands Karela United Registration Ban Over Unpaid Financial Obligation

August 18, 2026
Minority Caucus Addressing the media
Extractives/Energy

Minority Flags ‘Moral Hazard’ in Goldbod’s Gold Purchasing Operations

August 18, 2026
PwC Names Ghana’s Six Most Powerful Banks
Banking

PwC Names Ghana’s Six Most Powerful Banks

August 18, 2026
Felicia Martey Dodoo  Principal Midwifery Officer, Greater Accra Regional Hospital
General News

 Lack Of Infrastructure Fuelling Mathernal Mortality – Mad. Dodoo

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

Karela_United_FC_logo

FIFA Hands Karela United Registration Ban Over Unpaid Financial Obligation

August 18, 2026
Minority Caucus Addressing the media

Minority Flags ‘Moral Hazard’ in Goldbod’s Gold Purchasing Operations

August 18, 2026
PwC Names Ghana’s Six Most Powerful Banks

PwC Names Ghana’s Six Most Powerful Banks

August 18, 2026
Felicia Martey Dodoo  Principal Midwifery Officer, Greater Accra Regional Hospital

 Lack Of Infrastructure Fuelling Mathernal Mortality – Mad. Dodoo

August 18, 2026
Dr Ekua Amoakoh

Fresh Momentum Will Strengthen NPP Ahead Of 2028, Dr Amoakoh Declares

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
NDC Flagbearer, John Dramani Mahama

Make Ghana Work Again - John Mahama

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.