• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Around the Globe

WHO urges world ‘don’t give up’ as COVID-19 pandemic resurges

thevaultzby thevaultz
October 27, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
Image: Hannah Whitaker

Image: Hannah Whitaker

The World Health Organization (WHO) has urged people around the world not to give up in the fight against the coronavirus as cases surge once again, stressing the need for mask-wearing, physical distancing and other measures to avoid the kind of full-scale lockdowns that were imposed earlier this year.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual briefing that he understood the “pandemic fatigue” that some people were feeling but stressed the need to continue measures to contain a virus for which there remains no cure or vaccine.

“Working from home, children being schooled remotely, not being able to celebrate milestones with friends and family or not being there to mourn loved ones – it’s tough and the fatigue is real. But we cannot give up. We must not give up.”

Around the world, but particularly in Europe and the United States, new cases are surging beyond levels seen in the first wave of the pandemic back in March.

Data from Johns Hopkins University shows more than 43 million cases globally and nearly 1.2 million deaths from the disease.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the US, where there has been resistance to mask-wearing and other measures to curb the spread of the infection, average deaths a day have risen by 10 percent in the last two weeks to nearly 794 on 25th October, compared with 721 previously. It remains the world’s worst-affected country in terms of cases and deaths.

“We cannot have the economic recovery we want and live our lives the way we did before the pandemic,” the WHO chief said. “We can keep our kids in school, we can keep businesses open, and we can preserve lives and livelihoods. But we must all make trade-offs, compromises and sacrifices.”

Additionally, WHO emergencies chief, Michael Ryan also said countries should “not give up on trying to suppress transmission.”

He voiced particular concern about the situation in Europe, which in the past week accounted for 46 percent of global cases and nearly a third of global deaths.

“There’s no question that the European region is an epicentre for disease right now,” Ryan said.

Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical lead on the pandemic, also voiced concern about the situation in Europe, particularly a surge in admissions to hospital and rapidly filling intensive care units.

ADVERTISEMENT

“In many cities we’re seeing beds filling up too quickly and we’re seeing many projections saying the ICU beds will reach capacity in the coming days and weeks,” she said at the virtual briefing.

Tedros stressed that governments also needed to do their part to break transmission – test extensively, isolate confirmed patients, trace their contacts and provide “supported quarantine” for all contacts.

WHO 2
WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. Image: WHO

He noted that such measures had previously been shown to suppress the outbreak.

Earlier, he admonished that politics had also hindered the pandemic response in countries around the world.

“Where there has been political division at the national level; where there has been blatant disrespect for science and health professionals, confusion has spread and cases and deaths have mounted,” he said.

“This is why I have said repeatedly: stop the politicization of COVID-19.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

” We rate platforms on the diversity of software providers

Next Post

Amy Coney Barrett confirmed to US Supreme Court

Related Posts

Afghan Women
Around the Globe

Women Face Growing Exclusion From Afghanistan’s Labour Market

August 18, 2026
United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk
Around the Globe

UN Rights Chief Calls for Restraint Following Yemen Attacks

August 17, 2026
UNESCO
Around the Globe

UNESCO Reaffirms Support for Ukraine

August 16, 2026
A Sudanese Pregnant Woman
Around the Globe

War-Ravaged Darfur Puts Pregnant Women at Risk, UNFPA Warns

August 14, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

Minority Leader and Member of Parliament for Effutu, Hon Alexander Afenyo Markin

Afenyo-Markin Alleges Grand Conspiracy by Baffoe-Bonnie to Remove Torkornoo

August 18, 2026
Afenyo Markins

Accounting Location Can’t Shield GoldBod from Loss Accountability – Minority Cautions

August 18, 2026
Welcome To Derry

HBO Renews ‘IT: Welcome To Derry’ For Season 2

August 18, 2026
Karela_United_FC_logo

FIFA Hands Karela United Registration Ban Over Unpaid Financial Obligation

August 18, 2026
Minority Caucus Addressing the media

Minority Flags ‘Moral Hazard’ in Goldbod’s Gold Purchasing Operations

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
Image: AP

Amy Coney Barrett confirmed to US Supreme Court

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.