• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Sports, UK

Marcus Rashford announces alliance with food industry to tackle child food poverty

thevaultzby thevaultz
September 1, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
Manchester United forward, Marcus Rashford. Image credit: Skysports

Manchester United forward, Marcus Rashford. Image credit: Skysports

Manchester United star, Marcus Rashford has announced an alliance with the food industry to tackle child food poverty.

The England football international has brought together the Child Food Poverty Task Force with Aldi, Asda, Co-op, Deliveroo, FareShare, Food Foundation, Iceland, Kellogg’s, Lidl, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, and Waitrose.

The 22-year-old Manchester United forward also successfully campaigned to extend free school meals this summer.

Ministers had been planning to scrap the £15-a-week voucher scheme, which was launched during the coronavirus lockdown to make up for free meals pupils would normally get at school.

ADVERTISEMENT

He spoke about his own experiences of using a food voucher scheme as a child and was praised for pressing the government into a U-turn on the issue

Rashford said in a letter to MPs that the businesses would be “standing side by side to shed light on the issue of child food poverty in the UK,” adding that he was “confident” the group could help change lives “for the better”.

He and the businesses will spend the next six weeks using their platforms to share the stories of those most affected by child food insecurity.

The England forward said the move to extend free school meals over the summer had been a “short-term solution” to stopping children from going hungry, but it “wasn’t going to work in the long run”.

“We had to think about the best way to do it, to think about how these families can eat long term and not have any issues,” he said.

Rashford is hoping that, with a bigger team of experts around him, he might be able to help more children.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We wanted to do it the best way we could, introduce the best people into our group, and see if using them can push it even more.

“As a sportsman, I have always found such power in unity and teamwork, and I’m thrilled that such influential voices have put any allegiance aside to join me on my mission to move the conversation of child food poverty forward.”

He also disclosed 4.2 million children were living in poverty in the UK prior to COVID-19 and that this was expected to have risen, adding: “The time for action is now.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’m proud and I’m humbled to see such a reaction and commitment from the food industry, and I am confident that together we can help change the lives of those most vulnerable for the better,” he added.

The taskforce is also endorsing three policy recommendations from the National Food Strategy including:

The expansion of free school meals to every child from a household on universal credit or equivalent, reaching an additional 1.5 million children aged between seven and 16,

Expansion of holiday provision (food and activities) to support all children on free school meals, reaching an additional 1.1 million children

Increasing the value of the Healthy Start vouchers to £4.25 per week (from £3.10) and expanding into all those on universal credit or equivalent, reaching an additional 290,000 pregnant women and children under the age of four

The taskforce says implementing the three recommendations would mark a “unifying step to identifying a long-term solution to child poverty in the UK”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Tags: #RashfordChild food poverty task force
Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

End of year inflation target unlikely to be achieved – Economist forecasts

Next Post

Gov’t is working to expand infrastructure at the Airport- Aviation Minister

Related Posts

17869208873687907126164035425525
Sports

Cameroon Cruise Past Malawi to Win First WAFCON Trophy

August 16, 2026
17868977946273904032201322045123
Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo Hints at Retirement as Legendary Career Nears End

August 16, 2026
WAFCON trophy
Sports

First-Time Champions Await as Malawi and Cameroon Clash in WAFCON Final

August 16, 2026
Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso waves the fans during Chelsea's clash against Real Sociedad in preseason friendly at Stamford Bridge
Sports

Emotional Alonso Eager to Build Strong Chelsea Connection After Stamford Bridge Debut

August 15, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

17869208873687907126164035425525

Cameroon Cruise Past Malawi to Win First WAFCON Trophy

August 16, 2026
Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa and Netherlands Minister for Justice and Security David Van Weel sign the Letter of Intent on combating illicit drugs and drug markets at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Accra.

Ghana, Netherlands Sign Letter of Intent to Combat Illicit Drug Markets

August 16, 2026
17868977946273904032201322045123

Cristiano Ronaldo Hints at Retirement as Legendary Career Nears End

August 16, 2026
The interplay of Cost and Electricity

Electricity Cost Shock Threaten Ghana’s Industrial Recovery

August 16, 2026
download 2026 08 16T160858.813

Indonesia Earthquake Death Toll Rises to 53

August 16, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
President of Ghana, Nana Addo Dankwa Akuffo-Addo

It is Important For Countries to Acquire the Capacity to Build Basic Tools And Equipment- President Akufo-Addo

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.