• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Uncategorized

WHO to investigate ‘sexual exploitation’ by aid workers in DR Congo

thevaultzby thevaultz
October 1, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
Image: Getty Images

Image: Getty Images

The World Health Organization (WHO) has pledged to investigate allegations that aid workers tackling the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo sexually abused and exploited women.

WHO and other aid agency staff were accused by 50 women in a joint investigation by two news agencies.

Local women were allegedly plied with drinks, “ambushed” in hospitals, forced to have sex, and two became pregnant with allegations covering the period between 2018 and March 2020.

In a statement, the WHO said it is “outraged” and promised the charges will be “rigorously investigated.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Anyone identified as being involved will be held to account and face serious consequences, including immediate dismissal.

“The betrayal of people in the communities we serve is reprehensible.”

The WHO was in charge of efforts to control an Ebola outbreak in eastern DRC between August 2018 and the end of June this year. During that time, 3,481 people were infected and 2,299 people died.

The UN and aid agencies have previously promised zero tolerance of sexual abuse following similar allegations against some of their staff in other countries.

A spokesperson for the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said it would scrutinise the WHO findings closely, adding: “Sexual exploitation and abuse are completely abhorrent. We regularly assess all of our partners against the highest safeguarding standards.”

Most of the allegations of sexual abuse and exploitation were against men, including doctors, from WHO. In investigations by The New Humanitarian in conjunction with the Thomson Reuters Foundation, at least 30 women have made allegations against them.

ADVERTISEMENT

The next highest number of allegations – made by eight women – were against men said to be from DR Congo’s health ministry.

Two other UN agencies, and four international charities, were also named in the report.

sexual abuse
Image: newspulseonline.com

Some of the accused men came from Belgium, Burkina Faso, Canada, France, Guinea-Conakry and Ivory Coast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Many men refused to wear condoms, and at least two women said they became pregnant as a result of the abuse, the news agencies also reported.

A 25-year-old cleaner said she was invited to a WHO doctor’s home to discuss a promotion.

“He shut the door and told me: ‘There’s a condition. We need to have sex right now’,” the woman said.

“He started to take my clothes off me. I stepped back but he forced himself against me and kept pulling off my clothes. I started crying and told him to stop… He didn’t stop. So I opened the door and ran out.”

In another case, a 32-year-old Ebola survivor told the news agencies that she was invited to a hotel for counselling.

In the lobby, she was offered a soft drink. She said she woke up hours later, naked and alone in a hotel room, and believes she was raped.

Many women said they were forced to have sex in exchange for jobs, with one describing it as a “passport to employment” and another said “they hire you with eyeballs”.

Women said they were approached outside supermarkets in the eastern city of Beni, job recruitment centres, and hospitals where lists of successful candidates were posted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

Agyapa Deal: Alliance of CSOs To Find Other Ways Of Dealing With Grievances- Dr Manteaw

Next Post

NBSSI reiterates commitment to fairly disburse stimulus packages to businesses

Related Posts

Strong Domestic Demand Could Defy Fitch Forecasts
Economy

Strong Domestic Demand Could Defy Fitch Forecasts

August 22, 2026
Director General of the Ghana AIDS Commission, Dr. Prosper Kharmacelle Akanbong,
General News

GAC Sets HIV/AIDS Targets, Calls for End to Stigma

August 22, 2026
GNPC Chief Executive Kwame Ntow Amoah
Extractives/Energy

GNPC Repositions For Operatorship As Ghana Seeks Greater Petroleum Value

August 22, 2026
17874081583798664285622123311822
Sports

Hull City Secure First Premier League Win Over Manchester United on Top-flight Return

August 22, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

Strong Domestic Demand Could Defy Fitch Forecasts

Strong Domestic Demand Could Defy Fitch Forecasts

August 22, 2026
Director General of the Ghana AIDS Commission, Dr. Prosper Kharmacelle Akanbong,

GAC Sets HIV/AIDS Targets, Calls for End to Stigma

August 22, 2026
GNPC Chief Executive Kwame Ntow Amoah

GNPC Repositions For Operatorship As Ghana Seeks Greater Petroleum Value

August 22, 2026
17874081583798664285622123311822

Hull City Secure First Premier League Win Over Manchester United on Top-flight Return

August 22, 2026
Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board (Goldbod), Sammy Gyamfi

Sammy Gyamfi: Vanderpuye Apologised, “It Ends There”, Calls off Attacks

August 22, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
Executive Director for the National Board for Small Scale Industries (NBSSI), Mrs. Kosi Yankeh-Ayeh

NBSSI reiterates commitment to fairly disburse stimulus packages to businesses

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.