France, Germany and the United Kingdom have called on Iran and its allies to refrain from anticipated attacks on Israel in retaliation for the recent killings of senior members of Hamas and Hezbollah.
Global concern that the war in Gaza will escalate into an all-out regional conflict multiplied after the assassinations of the two Iran-aligned figures last month.
Despite the increasingly urgent calls for restraint, both sides continue to issue threats as Israel’s bombardment of Gaza persists.
Meanwhile, low-level hostilities across the Israel-Lebanon border continue.
The leaders of the three European states issued a joint statement on Monday, August 12, 2024, calling for “de-escalation and regional stability” in the Middle East and an urgent ceasefire.
The statement, which was signed by French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, read, “We call on Iran and its allies to refrain from attacks that would further escalate regional tensions and jeopardise the opportunity to agree a ceasefire and the release of hostages.”
The trio also endorsed the latest push by the United States, Qatar and Egypt to broker an agreement to resolve the 10-month-old conflict between Israel and Hamas.
“The fighting must end now, and all hostages still detained by Hamas must be released,” the statement continued.
It added, “The people of Gaza need urgent and unfettered delivery and distribution of aid.”
Also, the Vatican called on Iran to avoid a regional war.
During a phone call with Iran’s President, Masoud Pezeshkian, the Vatican’s Secretary of state, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, appealed to Tehran to embrace “dialogue, negotiation and peace.”
According to a Vatican statement, Parolin expressed Pope Francis’s “serious concern about what is happening in the Middle East, reiterating the need to avoid in any way the widening of the very serious conflict underway and preferring instead dialogue, negotiation and peace.”
The Vatican has tried to maintain a balanced position on Israel’s war in Gaza but has reiterated the need for a ceasefire, increased humanitarian aid to the enclave and an end to the war.
Meanwhile, Iran is expected to carry out an order by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei to “harshly punish” Israel, which it blames for the assassination of Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran.
Acting Foreign Minister, Ali Bagheri Kani reportedly told his Chinese counterpart that Iran has the “right to an appropriate and deterrent response” against Israel to ensure regional stability.
Bagheri said on X that the two diplomats discussed on the phone the latest regional developments, including Israel’s actions “to expand the scope of tension beyond Gaza through the recent dangerous movements in Lebanon, Yemen and the assassination of [Hamas political leader] Haniyeh in Tehran.”
“China’s foreign minister supported Iran’s legal efforts to defend its sovereignty, security and national honour and expressed its desire for close relations with Iran to maintain peace and stability in the region,” he added.
Iran Keeping Israel On Edge
Analyzing the situation, Rami Khouri, Director of global engagement at the American University of Beirut, noted that there are expectations from the US, Israel and people in Lebanon that Hezbollah and Iran’s retaliation will be a “big attack.”
“The Iranians and Hezbollah are being very coy about this, really what they’re doing is pretty extensive psychological warfare more than anything else right now, keeping the Israelis on edge,” Khouri told a news agency.
“Not just the Israeli army which is quite stretched and exhausted and still hasn’t achieved its objectives in Gaza, but the Israeli population and the Israeli economy, all of these things are being hit very badly.”
Rami Khouri
READ ALSO: Komenda Citizens Shift Demo Venue to Amplify Sugar Factory Concerns











