US Envoy, Steve Witkoff has disclosed that the United States is cutting short Gaza ceasefire talks and bringing its negotiating team home from Qatar for consultations after the latest response from Hamas “shows a lack of desire to reach a ceasefire in Gaza.”
Witkoff said in a statement that while the mediators have made a great effort, “Hamas does not appear to be coordinated or acting in good faith.”
“We will now consider alternative options to bring the hostages home and try to create a more stable environment for the people of Gaza. It is a shame that Hamas has acted in this selfish way.”
Steve Witkoff
It was unclear what “alternative options” the US was considering.
A breakthrough in talks on a ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas has eluded Trump’s administration for months as conditions worsen in Gaza.
The territory recently had its deadliest day yet for aid-seekers in over 21 months of war, with at least 85 Palestinians killed while trying to reach food Sunday.
The sides have held weeks of talks in Qatar, reporting small signs of progress but no major breakthroughs. Officials have said a main sticking point is the redeployment of Israeli troops after any ceasefire takes place.
Earlier, Israeli Prime Minster Benjamin Netanyahu’s office recalled his country’s negotiating team back to Israel in light of Hamas’ response.
In a brief statement, the Prime Minister’s office expressed its appreciation for the efforts of Witkoff and mediators Qatar and Egypt, but it gave no further details.
The deal under discussion is expected to include an initial 60-day ceasefire in which Hamas would release 10 living hostages and the remains of 18 others in phases in exchange for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. Aid supplies would be ramped up and the two sides would hold negotiations on a lasting ceasefire.
The talks have been bogged down over competing demands for ending the war. Hamas says it will only release all hostages in exchange for a full Israeli withdrawal and end to the war.
Israel says it will not agree to end the war until Hamas gives up power and disarms, a condition the militant group rejects.
US Resolute In Seeking War’s End
Witkoff said the US is “resolute” in seeking an end to the conflict in Gaza and and a permanent peace in Gaza.”
Hamas is believed to be holding the hostages in different locations, including tunnels, and says it has ordered its guards to kill them if Israeli forces approach.
With the war in Gaza, Trump earlier this month met with Netanyahu at the White House, putting his weight behind a push to reach a breakthrough and a ceasefire agreement.
The apparent derailing of the talks comes as Israel’s blockade and military offensive have driven Gaza to the brink of famine, according to aid groups.
The UN food agency says nearly 100,000 women and children are suffering from severe, acute malnutrition, and the Gaza Health Ministry has reported a rise in hunger-related deaths.
Israel has come under mounting pressure, with 28 Western-aligned countries calling for an end to the war and harshly criticizing Israel’s blockade and a new aid delivery model it has rolled out.
More than 100 charity and human rights groups released a similar letter, saying that even their own staff are struggling to get enough food.
READ ALSO: Ato Forson Rescues NIB with GH¢450 million Cash Injection










