Portuguese midfielder Bernardo Silva has underlined the enormous responsibility of representing Real Madrid after describing the opportunity to play for Europe’s most successful club as one that is not meant for “everyone.”
The Portuguese midfielder made the remarks during his official unveiling as a Real Madrid player on Wednesday, August 19, following his move to the Spanish capital from Manchester City.
Silva joined Los Blancos as a free agent after bringing his nine-year spell at the Etihad Stadium to an end.
“Playing for a club that has 15 Champions Leagues isn’t for everyone,” Silva said, reflecting on the weight of joining a side whose record haul of European titles remains unmatched.
Real Madrid secured their 15th Champions League crown in 2024 after defeating Borussia Dortmund 2-0 at Wembley, further extending their dominance in the competition.
The 32-year-old was formally welcomed at the Ciudad Real Madrid, where club president Florentino Pérez received him in the boardroom. Silva subsequently signed his contract, which will keep him at the Santiago Bernabéu until June 30, 2028.

Following the signing, Silva was presented with a replica of the stadium, a watch and a Real Madrid jersey bearing his name and number 20.
The ceremony was also attended by honorary president José Martínez Pirri, adding another historic figure to an occasion centred on the club’s remarkable European pedigree.
Silva’s arrival marks the beginning of a new chapter after an exceptionally successful period in England.
He spent nine seasons with Manchester City, making more than 450 appearances and helping the club win six Premier League titles and the Champions League, among other major honours.
From Manchester to Madrid
Silva’s decision to leave City came after his contract expired at the end of the 2025/26 campaign. Rather than extend his stay in England, the Portugal international opted for a fresh challenge at Real Madrid, agreeing to a two-year contract.

His move was not straightforward, however, as Barcelona were among the clubs interested in securing his services. The Catalan giants had previously maintained an interest in Silva, while Atlético Madrid were also linked with the midfielder before Real Madrid moved swiftly to secure his signature.
The appointment of José Mourinho as Real Madrid coach also played a role in changing the situation. Silva became one of the Portuguese manager’s preferred targets, helping Los Blancos beat their domestic rivals to the midfielder’s signature.
Silva had already made clear his admiration for Real Madrid before Wednesday’s ceremony. After his first training session, he said that when the club came calling, he “didn’t think twice,” describing playing for the club as a privilege and stressing his desire to help continue its tradition of winning.
A New Role Under Mourinho
At Real Madrid, Silva is expected to provide experience, technical quality and tactical versatility to Mourinho’s midfield. Although traditionally deployed as an attacking midfielder or on the right, the Portuguese has also been tested in deeper midfield positions during the club’s preparations for the new season.
That flexibility could become particularly important as Mourinho seeks to find the right balance in midfield. Silva’s ability to retain possession, progress the ball and operate between different lines gives the manager another experienced option in a squad chasing domestic and European honours.

The move also gives Silva an opportunity to add the most prestigious club competition in European football to a career that already includes a Champions League triumph with Manchester City in 2023.
Now, at a club defined by its 15 European crowns, the challenge is considerably different; helping Real Madrid make history rather than simply becoming part of it.
READ ALSO: Sudan Crisis Worsens as 200,000 More Face Displacement










