• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Vaultz Business

Telcoms Chamber commends government on reduction of communication service tax

Maynard Championby Maynard Champion
September 12, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
ashigb

Kenneth Ashigbey, Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Chamber of Telecommunications, has commended government on the implementation of the reduced Communication Service Tax, CST, to improve performance.

Speaking in an interview, he iterated that businesses are positioned to take advantage on the tax reduction to become more efficient.

“Now all of us are moving digital and all of that, the cost of doing business as far as connectivity is concerned will come down and the fact that government has reduced the tax burden on all of us as consumers is something that is good and we are only hoping that the people will use it to be able to turn their businesses around and then it will help in the recovery process for all of us.

“You know how hard COVID has hit all businesses, now that that cost component in terms of the connectivity will be lower we hope that businesses will use it to turn round their wheels of productivity so that we can be able to recover from the effects of the pandemic”.

Government in its Mid-year budget review announced a reduction in the tax from 9% to 5% as part of measures to cushion consumers from the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The tax reduction which is expected to take effect on the 15th of September, will see consumers enjoying a reduction in the cost of calls and data.

ADVERTISEMENT

 Earlier on August 8, 2020 the Chamber refuted claims by government that telecommunication companies under-declared taxes due government.

In a press statement signed by its CEO Dr Kenneth Ashigbey, he said, telcos operating in the country “namely AirtelTigo, MTN and Vodafone are good corporate citizens, showcasing an exemplary record of tax compliance as well as delivering on all their tax obligations.”

It said the content of the answer by the Communication Minister, Ursula Owusu-Ekuful given on the Common Platform (CP) in Parliament on Friday is almost similar to the earlier press conference held on the 14th of November 2019.

The Minister stated among other things that “the introduction of the CP has uncovered that, prior to the introduction of the CP, ¢470 million in taxes was lost from potential under-declarations between 2015 to the first quarter of 2017.

“An estimated amount of ¢300 million in taxes was saved between Q1 of 2017 to date as a result of the announcement of the implementation of the CP on March 8th, 2017 and its actual implementation date”.

The Chamber reiterated that these claims although potential and estimated have not been brought to the attention of its members and on the contrary, the ongoing working relationship between the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), National Communications Authority (NCA) and/or their technical partner KelniGVG regarding the Common Platform does not support these allegations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Ashigbey said the mobile industry is deeply concerned about the continuous recurrence of these claims, and the fact that standard audit principles and practice that characterize its members’ dealings with regulators continue to be breached.

“Any revenue assurance best practice will expect that such findings if indeed were the case will be shared with our members for their response and reconciliation before onward engagement with external parties and the media”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Tags: communicationCSTtelcos
Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

Bahrain follows UAE in normalizing ties with Israel

Next Post

Menzgold customers restrained from organized demo to commemorate collapse of the Company

Related Posts

GFZA and Business Leaders at the 5th CANCHAM CEOs Connect Held at Kempinskin Hotel in Accra
Vaultz Business

GFZA Joins the CANCHAM CEOs Connect

August 22, 2026
The CEO of Mobile Money Fintech LTD, Mr. Shaibu Haruna
Vaultz Business

MMFL Pushes Mobile Money Beyond Financial Services to Prioritise Customer Well-Being

August 22, 2026
IMG 4785
Vaultz Business

GFZA Engages Stakeholders on Major Steps Towards Afienya Special Zone

August 21, 2026
70ff80d7 7e8c 4dad a16d b6bda212951e
Vaultz Business

Importers and Exporters Association Calls on Government to Simplify Export Procedures  

August 21, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

17874081583798664285622123311822

Hull City Secure First Premier League Win Over Manchester United on Top-flight Return

August 22, 2026
Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board (Goldbod), Sammy Gyamfi

Sammy Gyamfi: Vanderpuye Apologised, “It Ends There”, Calls off Attacks

August 22, 2026
Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board (Goldbod), Sammy Gyamfi (L) and Minority Leader and Member of Parliament for Effutu, Hon. Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin(R)

Sammy Gyamfi Dares Afenyo-Markin to Challenge Him on “Extortionist” Claim

August 22, 2026
More Capital Won’t Stop Ghana’s Next Banking Crisis- Dr Atuahene

More Capital Won’t Stop Ghana’s Next Banking Crisis- Dr Atuahene

August 22, 2026
GFZA and Business Leaders at the 5th CANCHAM CEOs Connect Held at Kempinskin Hotel in Accra

GFZA Joins the CANCHAM CEOs Connect

August 22, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
Menzgold customers protest 6 768x432 1 750x375 Copy

Menzgold customers restrained from organized demo to commemorate collapse of the Company

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.