FIFA Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour has parted ways with the world football governing body, less than three weeks after launching a strong criticism of President Gianni Infantino’s controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) proposal.
FIFA confirmed Lamour’s departure on Monday, August 17, 2026, but stopped short of describing it as a dismissal.
FIFA said the working relationship between the two sides had ended after Lamour served for two years as its Chief Operating Officer. “The working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a FIFA spokesperson said. “FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future,” the spokesperson added.
The development was communicated to FIFA staff by Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom in an email on Monday evening. Grafstrom said the organisation and Lamour had “agreed to part ways” following recent discussions, without providing details about the circumstances leading to the decision.
Lamour Challenged Controversial Investment Plan
Lamour’s departure comes against the backdrop of his outspoken opposition to FFE, an initiative promoted by Infantino that sought to attract private investment into FIFA’s commercial competitions.

The proposal, which has since been abandoned, faced resistance from influential figures and organisations within football. Lamour became one of the most prominent voices from within FIFA’s administration to publicly question the initiative.
Describing FFE as “the project of one person,” Lamour called on football leaders to examine the proposal more critically. “The time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions,” he said.
Lamour also claimed that FIFA’s administration had been misled about the project, arguing that those responsible for implementing football’s governing structures were not adequately involved in the process. “FIFA’s own administration was ‘deceived’ about the now abandoned project,” Lamour said.
His criticism went beyond the proposal itself, as he questioned whether the organisation was fulfilling its broader responsibility to football and its employees. “Our mission – the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary FIFA employees – is to serve football,” Lamour indicated.
He further challenged the leadership philosophy behind the project, declaring that a president should unite rather than divide those within the organisation. “A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them,” Lamour said. “Today, we are experiencing the opposite,” he added.
Departure Follows Tensions Within FIFA
Lamour appeared to recognise that his comments could jeopardise his position at FIFA, but maintained that he was prepared to accept the consequences of speaking out. “I have a duty of loyalty to my employer, but also to certain values,” he said, while also expressing solidarity with his colleagues.
“If that means I lose my job, then so be it. I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”
Kevin Lamour
Lamour joined FIFA in November 2024 after previously serving as UEFA’s deputy general secretary. He was two levels of management below Infantino within FIFA’s administrative structure.
The circumstances surrounding his departure have attracted further attention because Infantino received the backing of senior FIFA executives at a meeting in Morocco earlier this month, while Lamour was reportedly not invited.

In a letter to FIFA Council members, Grafstrom described the departure as the result of discussions between the organisation and Lamour. “Following recent discussions, FIFA and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour have agreed to part ways,” Grafstrom wrote.
He said the decision had been made “after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally.”
Grafstrom also expressed gratitude for Lamour’s contribution and commitment during his time at FIFA, wishing him success in the future.
Lamour has been approached for comment on his departure.
His exit marks another significant development following the collapse of FFE and raises questions about the internal dynamics at FIFA after the controversial proposal triggered divisions among football’s governing authorities.
READ ALSO: South Tongu MP Assures Dzebetato Residents Of CHPS Support









