The Ministry of Health has ordered the temporary closure of the Nursing Training College, Techiman Krobo, with immediate effect, citing sustained unrest and a breakdown of rules and regulations that repeated dialogue and intervention efforts failed to resolve.
In a press release issued on July 29, 2026, the Ministry directed all students to vacate the campus peacefully and return home by 5:00pm the same day, while assuring parents, staff and the wider public that steps are being taken to restore order and determine when the institution can reopen.
The Ministry said the decision to close the college was not taken lightly, but had become necessary following a prolonged period of disorder on campus that undermined the institution’s ability to function normally.
The statement did not detail the specific triggers behind the unrest, but framed the closure as a direct response to conditions that had made continued academic activity untenable under the circumstances.
According to the Ministry, the closure came only after multiple attempts to resolve the situation through engagement with students had failed to produce lasting calm. It said meetings, counselling sessions and appeals involving several stakeholders, including the Regional Security Council, had all been deployed in an effort to encourage dialogue and restore order within the institution.
“Despite several meetings, counselling, and appeals by stakeholders including Regional Security Council, the Ministry to encourage dialogue and restore order, some students have continued to engage in conduct that disrupts academic activities and threatens the peace, safety, and orderly administration of the institution.”
Ghana Health Service
The involvement of the Regional Security Council in these efforts signals the seriousness with which the situation had been treated even before the decision to shut down the college was finalised, suggesting that authorities viewed the unrest as a matter extending beyond routine student disciplinary concerns.
The Ministry was explicit that the primary motivation behind the closure was safety, both for students and for the institution’s physical assets, rather than punitive action against the student body as a whole.

This framing suggests that the closure is being treated as a cooling-off period, giving relevant authorities room to properly evaluate the underlying causes of the unrest before any decision is made on when and how students might return to campus.
Students Directed to Vacate Campus by Evening
The Ministry set a firm and immediate timeline for the closure, instructing all students to leave the campus peacefully and return to their respective homes by 5:00pm on Wednesday, July 29, 2026, the same day the notice was issued. Parents and guardians were advised to make the necessary arrangements to receive their wards, given the short notice involved.
The tight timeline reflects the urgency with which the Ministry moved once the decision to close the institution was reached, leaving little room for a phased or extended withdrawal process for the affected students.
While the closure took effect immediately, the Ministry sought to reassure stakeholders that the situation would not be left unresolved indefinitely, committing to work toward addressing the underlying issues as quickly as possible.

The statement did not specify a target date for the college’s reopening, indicating instead that any decision on resuming academic activities would depend on the outcome of the assessment process now underway.
Official Channels to Guide the Reopening Process
The Ministry made clear that any updates regarding the college’s status would come strictly through official communication channels, cautioning stakeholders against relying on informal or unverified information in the interim.
“Information regarding the reopening of the College will be communicated through official channels in due course.”
Ghana Health Service
This directive appears intended to prevent the spread of rumours or speculation among students, parents and the wider public while the Ministry works through its assessment of the situation on the ground.
Closing its statement, the Ministry expressed appreciation for the patience of all parties affected by the closure, framing the disruption as a necessary but temporary measure aimed at restoring a safe and disciplined learning environment at the institution.

With the college now closed indefinitely and students instructed to return home, attention turns to how quickly the Ministry and relevant security stakeholders can assess conditions on the ground and chart a path toward reopening.
Until further notice is issued through official channels, students, staff and parents connected to the Nursing Training College, Techiman Krobo, are left awaiting clarity on when normal academic activities might resume at the institution.
READ MORE: Ghana Water Apologises for Supply Disruptions Amid National Power Outage










