Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso has moved to dismiss growing speculation surrounding Enzo Fernandez’s future and insisting that the Argentine midfielder remains an important part of his plans at Stamford Bridge and is still a Chelsea player.
Fernandez has been at the centre of transfer rumours this summer, with Manchester City reportedly monitoring his situation as Enzo Maresca’s side look to strengthen their midfield options ahead of the 2026/27 season.
Chelsea had placed a £120 million valuation on their number eight and informed interested clubs that any potential offer would have to be submitted before or on Friday, August 14. However, the deadline passed without any official bid arriving for the 2022 FIFA World Cup winner.
With no approach materialising, Chelsea are now expecting Fernandez to remain with the club for the remainder of the campaign as they continue building under Alonso’s leadership.
The 25-year-old only returned to Chelsea training last week after representing Argentina at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, where the South American side reached the final before suffering a narrow defeat to Spain. Fernandez was sent off during the final after receiving a red card late in the match.

Speaking ahead of Chelsea’s Premier League opener against Fulham on Monday, Alonso insisted that Fernandez’s commitment and attitude during training have shown that he remains fully focused on the club.
Alonso Backs Fernandez Commitment Despite Transfer Rumours
Addressing questions about whether Fernandez would still be a Chelsea player when the transfer window closes, Alonso gave a clear response. “Enzo is a Chelsea player, he’s a top, top player,” Alonso said during his pre-match press conference. “He’s training really well since he started 10 days ago with the team, very integrated.”
The Chelsea boss added that Fernandez has settled back into the squad well and is preparing normally for the start of the Premier League season. “We are happy with him and he’s getting ready for Monday,” Alonso said.
When asked whether Fernandez had personally expressed a desire to remain at Chelsea, Alonso focused on the midfielder’s professionalism and work ethic rather than speculation surrounding his future. “He’s training really well and I see him with good attitude, and that’s what we want,” the former Real Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen coach explained. “Everyone is trying their best to prepare for the kick-off of the Premier League.”

Fernandez joined Chelsea from Benfica in January 2023 for a British record transfer fee of around £107 million after playing a key role in Argentina’s World Cup triumph in Qatar. Since arriving in west London, he has become a central figure in the squad and was named the club’s deputy captain behind Reece James.
Despite the uncertainty surrounding his future, Chelsea view Fernandez as a key player in their long-term project, particularly given his leadership qualities and ability to influence games from midfield.
Manchester City continue midfield search after major changes
Manchester City’s interest in Fernandez has been linked to the significant changes taking place in their midfield department.
Former Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca, now in charge at Manchester City, is believed to be keen on a reunion with the Argentine midfielder at the Etihad Stadium.
City have already lost Rodri, who departed the club this summer for FC Barcelona, while Tijjani Reijnders has completed a £52 million move to Saudi Pro League side Al-Qadsiah after one season at the club.
The Manchester-based club have moved to strengthen their options by signing Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest in a deal worth £116 million, but they continue to explore further midfield additions.

City have also been linked with Lille and Morocco young midfielder Ayoub Bouaddi, who has emerged as one of Europe’s most highly rated young midfield talents.
Manchester City maintain an interest in Crystal Palace midfielder Adam Wharton, although the Eagles have made it clear that the England international is not available for transfer this summer.
They have also explored a move for Bournemouth midfielder Adam Scott, but the Cherries have rejected approaches and insist the player is not for sale. Bournemouth previously turned down a £64 million bid from Chelsea for Scott.
While Manchester City’s pursuit of midfield reinforcements continues, Chelsea remain confident that Fernandez will stay at Stamford Bridge and play a major role in Alonso’s first season in charge.
The Argentine midfielder is expected to be available for selection when Chelsea begin their Premier League campaign against Fulham, with Alonso focused on building momentum rather than allowing transfer speculation to dominate preparations.
READ ALSO: Abandoned Bridges Set For Completion As Government Mobilises Funds










