• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Africa

17 Nigerian students rescued from Boko Haram, two dead

thevaultzby thevaultz
December 16, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
17 Nigerian students rescued from Boko Haram, two dead

Parents and family members gathered at the school after attacks. Image: Reuters

Nigerian authorities have announced that 17 students kidnapped by the Boko Haram armed group from a school in north-western Nigeria have been rescued in an operation that resulted in the death of two students.

The news comes after Katsina state’s Governor, Aminu Masari told reporters he had ordered a joint rescue operation by Nigeria’s police, air force and army to be carried out, after over 300 students were kidnapped by the terrorist group from a boarding school in Kankara, a small town in Katsina.

“The majority of the kidnapped students are in the Zamfara forest in the neighbouring province. Efforts are under way to save them,” he said.

Katsina state’s police spokesman Gambo Isah said a security guard was injured during the operation and additional security forces would be dispatched to the area for search and rescue operations.

Attackers on motorcycles stormed the all-boys Government Science Secondary School last week and engaged security forces in a fierce gun battle, forcing hundreds of students to flee and hide in the surrounding forest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Boko Haram, which had kidnapped hundreds of schoolgirls in the country’s Chibok region in 2014, later claimed responsibility for the abduction after the attack was initially blamed on armed groups locally known as “bandits.”

Defence Minister, Bashir Salihi Magashi has visited the area, promising the students would be rescued soon, as parents and residents continued to demonstrate for their release.

He has in the interim, ordered the closure of all boarding schools in the state in the wake of the attack.

mili
Nigerian Army a part of joint rescue operation

Umar Ahmed, an 18-year-old student who managed to escape the abductors has managed to give details of how the traumatic night unfolded.

According to Ahmed, the nightmare began in confusion. The gunmen arrived at his school just as he and his classmates were about to go to bed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Their [the students] first thought was that the men were vigilantes – civilians who take on a policing role – “so, we were not scared,” the 18-year-old said.

But then, he says heavy firing started. “We became terrified. Some of us ran to the perimeter fence trying to escape, while others hid inside.

“They kept shouting we should come back, that they were in the school to rescue us. And most of us came back,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ahmad went on to explain how the students were rounded up under a tree, split into three groups and led through the forest.

“We had no footwear,” he said, his feet swathed in black socks after they became riddled with thorns.

The teenager said the group trekked for hours, heading towards neighbouring Zamfara state. “They flogged us with tree branches and the flat side of their machetes,” he said.

But then came a stroke of luck, he intimated.

He and a friend were able to hide behind a bush, waiting for complete silence to prevail before they retraced their steps back home to safety.

This is the first of such massive kidnappings in the northwest of Nigeria. Boko Haram, and a splinter group, the Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP), are waging an insurgency in Nigeria northeast and are thought to have only a minor presence in the northwest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

Bank Branches Remain Fairly Stable At 2013 Level

Next Post

Allocate More Funds Towards Adolescent Health Issues- ARH to Government

Related Posts

Nigeria’s Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
Africa

Nigeria’s Presidential, Governorship Candidates Face ₦571bn Spending Cap

August 20, 2026
Finance Minister Taiwo Oyedele
Africa

Tinubu’s Reforms Stabilised Economy – Nigeria’s Finance Minister

August 19, 2026
Displaced Sudanese
Africa

Sudan Crisis Worsens as 200,000 More Face Displacement

August 19, 2026
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Africa

Tinubu Faces Tough Test as Nigerians Assess APC’s 12-Year Rule

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa with the Russian Team

Russian Academy Backs Ghana’s Industrialisation Push to End Raw Mineral Exports

August 20, 2026
Unicef Ghana

 UNICEF Urges Data-Driven Teacher Deployment to Close Regional Gaps

August 20, 2026
Onga Jollof Battle, West African Edition

Onga Jollof Battle Edition Two Set for Accra This Weekend

August 20, 2026
Israeli Attacks on Iran persist For Third Day

Iran Dismisses Trump’s New Sanctions Threat

August 20, 2026
Retail Investors Storm GSE as Monthly Trades Hit 300,000

Retail Investors Storm GSE as Monthly Trades Hit 300,000

August 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
Allocate More Funds Towards Adolescent Health Issues- ARH to Government

Allocate More Funds Towards Adolescent Health Issues- ARH to Government

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.