• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Africa

Kidnapped Nigerian schoolboys freed

thevaultzby thevaultz
December 18, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
Kidnapped Nigerian schoolboys freed

Freed Nigerian schoolboys have arrived in the capital of Katsina state amid celebrations of their release. Image: Reuters

A total of 344 kidnapped Nigerian schoolboys have been handed over to government security forces, Katsina state Governor Aminu Bello Masari has confirmed.

More than 800 students were at the Government Science Secondary School, in the northwestern town of Kankara, when it was attacked by armed men on December 11. Hundreds escaped but more than 300 students were reported to have been abducted. The militant Islamist group Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the raid.

Masari said most, if not all, the boys had been freed in neighbouring Zamfara state. They will be medically examined and reunited with their families later on Friday, 18 December.

He added that security forces had cordoned off the area where the boys were being held and were given instructions not to shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We thank God that they took our advice and not a single shot was fired,” he said.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari took to twitter to welcome the release.

 “This is a huge relief to the entire country and international community. The entire country is grateful to Governor Masari, the intelligence agencies, the military and the police force,” he tweeted.

  • 17 Nigerian students rescued from Boko Haram, two dead
  • Nigeria’s Boko Haram claims responsibility for students kidnapping

Retired health worker Shuaibu Kankara, whose 13-year-old son Annas Shuaibu was among the kidnapped boys, could not contain his joy at their release.

“I am so happy,” he said. “We are so grateful to the governor of Katsina and all those who worked hard to secure their release.”

end
A demonstrator holds a sign during a protest to urge authorities to rescue hundreds of abducted schoolboys, in northwestern state of Katsina, Nigeria, Image: REUTERS

The schoolboys’ release came shortly after a video started circulating online. It allegedly shows the Boko Haram Islamist militant group with some of the students who are begging security forces to leave the area.

Some media houses reported the abductors fled and abandoned the children after reaching an agreement with the government.

The abduction gripped a country already incensed by widespread insecurity, and evoked memories of Boko Haram’s 2014 kidnapping of more than 270 schoolgirls in the northeastern town of Chibok.

ADVERTISEMENT

Even though Boko Haram has claimed responsibility, it is reported that the authorities and even the local people insist that the kidnapping was not done by the terrorist group. Many believe that this was the work of bandits in the area.

The locals purported that the bandits have been trying to pledge allegiance to Boko Haram for a while now.

Earlier, protesters marched in the state capital, also called Katsina, under a banner reading #BringBackOurBoys as pressure mounted on the government to improve security.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Northern Nigeria has been abandoned at the mercy of vicious insurgents, bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, rapists and an assortment of hardened criminals,” said Balarabe Ruffin of the Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG), which focuses on the welfare of northern Nigerians.

Should Boko Haram’s involvement in the kidnapping, still disputed by some in the government, is confirmed, it would represent an expansion from the group’s typical area of operation in Nigeria’s northeast.

The government will be “working with the police and also to engage private security firms to safeguard schools” to prevent the “ugly experience of the last six days,” Masari assured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

Votes Were Padded For Akufo-Addo – NDC

Next Post

Brexit deal: Some Progress, but big gaps remain

Related Posts

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Africa

Tinubu Faces Tough Test as Nigerians Assess APC’s 12-Year Rule

August 19, 2026
Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema
Africa

Hichilema Wins Second Term as Zambia’s President

August 18, 2026
An election official holds a ballot at a polling station during Zambia's general elections
Africa

Zambia’s Top Opposition Figures Arrested After Presidential Poll

August 17, 2026
Somali Armed Forces
Africa

Somali Forces Clash With Armed Opposition in Baidoa

August 17, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

Minister for Energy and Green Transition, John Abdulai Jinapor addressing the congregation

Jinapor Calls For Transformation Of Ghana’s Upstream Sector

August 19, 2026
Honourable Kwame Governs Agbodza, Minister of Roads and Highways

Roads Minister Demands Day And Night Work On Tema Project

August 19, 2026
Bernard Antwi Boasiako, popularly known as Chairman Wontumi

Court Pushes Wontumi Bail Application to October 15 Over Absence

August 19, 2026
IMG 4707

CSOs Urge Government to Use 2027 Budget to Strengthen Ghana’s Anti-Corruption Architecture 

August 19, 2026
MTV Video Music Awards

Dave and Tems’ Raindance Earns Best R&B MTV VMA Nomination

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
Brexit deal: Some Progress, but big gaps remain

Brexit deal: Some Progress, but big gaps remain

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.