• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • Login
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2DNew
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships
No Result
View All Result
The Vaultz News
No Result
View All Result
in Africa

Militant Islamists ‘behead more than 50’ in Northern Mozambique

thevaultzby thevaultz
November 10, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Add as Preferred on Google
Image: AFP

Image: AFP

Mozambique police have reported that more 50 people have been beheaded in northern Mozambique by militant Islamists as violence in the area continues.

The ISIL-linked fighters attacked several villages in the districts of Miudumbe and Macomia, killing civilians, abducting women and children and burning down homes, Bernardino Rafael, commander-general of Mozambique’s police announced in a media briefing.

“They burned the houses then went after the population who had fled to the woods and started with their macabre actions,” he added.

 Witnesses told local media the assailants drove residents onto the local football field in the village of Muatide where the killings were carried out.

The gunmen chanted “Allahu Akbar” (“God is greatest”, in English), fired shots, and set homes alight when they raided Nanjaba village.

ADVERTISEMENT

The state media also reported that several people were also beheaded in another village with the dismembered bodies of at least five adults and 15 boys were found scattered across a forest clearing in Muidumbe district.

 “Police learnt of the massacre committed by the insurgents through reports of people who found corpses in the woods,” said an officer in the neighbouring Mueda district who asked not to be named.

“It was possible to count 20 bodies spread over an area of about 500 metres (1,640 feet). These were young people who were at an initiation rite ceremony accompanied by their advisers.”

The beheadings are the latest in a series of gruesome attacks that the militants have carried out in gas-rich Cabo Delgado province since 2017. Many locals have complained that they have benefited little from the province’s ruby and gas industries.

It is estimated that up to 2,000 people have been killed and about 430,000 have been left homeless in the conflict in the mainly-Muslim province.

Mozambique Government Calls for Help
Violence has displaced thousands of people. Image: AFP

The violent attacks have triggered a humanitarian crisis with more than 300,000 internally displaced people and 712,000 in need of humanitarian assistance, according to an Amnesty International report released last month.

The militants linked to the Islamic State (IS) group have exploited poverty and unemployment to recruit youth in their fight to establish Islamic rule in the area. It has also stepped up its offensive in recent months and violently seized swathes of territory, terrorizing citizens in the process.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Now they have guns and vehicles, so they move easily and can attack widely. And they are using soldiers’ uniforms. So, people are very confused, and very afraid,” said the Catholic Bishop of Pemba, Luiz Fernando Lisboa.

Mozambique’s government has appealed for international help to curb the insurgency, saying its troops need specialised training.

In April, more than 50 people were beheaded or shot dead in an attack on a village in Cabo Delgado and earlier this month, nine people were beheaded in the same province.

Human rights groups say Mozambican security forces have also carried human rights abuses, including arbitrary arrests, torture and killings, during operations to curb the insurgency.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

Please login to join discussion
Previous Post

Indo-Africa Summit panel calls for strong PPPs to close Africa’s infrastructure gap and strengthen trade

Next Post

Less than 50% of women hold deposit accounts in Angola and Bangladesh

Related Posts

Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema
Africa

Hichilema Wins Second Term as Zambia’s President

August 18, 2026
An election official holds a ballot at a polling station during Zambia's general elections
Africa

Zambia’s Top Opposition Figures Arrested After Presidential Poll

August 17, 2026
Somali Armed Forces
Africa

Somali Forces Clash With Armed Opposition in Baidoa

August 17, 2026
An election official holds a ballot at a polling station during Zambia's general elections
Africa

Zambia Suspends Vote Count Over Attacks on Election Officials

August 14, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Fresh updates, Straight to your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

Expert Says PETROSOL Could Set New Stock Market Benchmark

GSE Opens Week Under Pressure Despite Strong Gains

August 18, 2026
NPP Top 3 Regional Chairman Elected

NPP Regional Leaders Chosen To Drive 2028 Revival, Ahiagbah Says

August 18, 2026
A heavy aerial drone attack on Wildberries

Russia Threatens UK With ‘Consequences’ Over Ukraine’s Use of British Drones

August 18, 2026
Minister for Education, Hon. Haruna Iddrisu

Educatin Minister Appeals to GAUA to Call Off Ongoing Strike

August 18, 2026
Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema

Hichilema Wins Second Term as Zambia’s President

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
IMF calls for gender budgeting to stimulate recovery

Less than 50% of women hold deposit accounts in Angola and Bangladesh

The Vaultz News

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Top Stories
  • News
    • General News
    • Education
    • Health
    • Opinions
  • Economics
    • Economy
    • Finance
      • Banking
      • Insurance
      • Pension
    • Securities/Markets
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Vaultz Business
    • Extractives/Energy
    • Real Estate
  • World
    • Africa
    • America
    • Europe
    • UK
    • USA
    • Asia
    • Around the Globe
  • Innovation
    • Technology
    • Wheels
  • Entertainment
  • 20MOBPL2D
  • Jobs & Scholarships
    • Job Vacancies
    • Scholarships

Copyright © 2025 The Vaultz News. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.